What kind of feedback can I expect? My critiques include both in-line commentary and notes pages at the end of the manuscript or excerpt. The in-line comments will give you my immediate reactions to certain elements of the manuscript, and point out issues as I notice them. This provides specific examples of issues that may be written up more broadly in the notes, and also mirrors the reader’s experience for you. In the notes, I will give more generalized feedback about the overall work and information about fixing problem areas, with general suggestions about how you might go about making changes. I do not rewrite your text for you, but sometimes I might give an example of one way you could resolve an issue. Sometimes I can suggest additional reading that might be helpful on a particular technique or element.
Here are the primary issues I will look for during your manuscript critique:
- Story Arc
- Point of View
- Character: strength, likability/fascination, development, realism
I do not critique non-fiction, academic papers, medical texts, scientific or technical manuals.Specs & Pricing
All critiques include in-line comments as appropriate, with notes pages at the end of the excerpt. Please make sure chapter and/or page numbers are clearly indicated, as I will refer to those periodically in notes. All critiques also include brief email exchanges as needed to clarify feedback provided.
If you would like verbal feedback as well as written, joint brainstorming, or more immediate/thorough answers to any clarifying questions, please add one one of the coaching options.
**For pricing purposes 1 page = approximately 250 words**
- Short Excerpt (50 pages or less – quick turnaround) = $4/page
- Standard MS (51 to 350 pages – turnaround in 2 to 4 weeks) = $3/page
- If you have more than 350 pages, please contact me to discuss options and scheduling
You can add coaching to any critique:
- 15-minute coaching session (available only with critiques) = $25
- 30-minute coaching session added to critique = $35 (regularly $45)
- Full hour of coaching – can be broken into up to 3 sessions, expires in one year = $60 (regularly $75)
To request a critique, please email me at email@example.com. I will get back with you in 24 to 48 hours with a specific quote and schedule.